Slowly but surely society is letting go of the stigma and more and more people are embracing mental health support for the life changing benefits it offers them.
But how do you know when you would benefit from speaking to a counsellor? What are the signs that maybe you need a safe place to go and a safe place to chat?
Sometimes it’s not as easy as making a concrete, very conscious, decision to make a booking with a therapist. Sometimes it takes a message from our body, our loved ones, our colleagues or even god or the universe (if you believe in either of course) to let us know that now might be the time.
Below you’ll find a few of the more common things to look out for. Is this list exhaustive? Absolutely not… it serves to act as some insight into my own experiences, the research and study I’ve done over the years and, of course, the feedback I’ve received from women who are currently working with me, or who have in the past.
Ok, here we go, Mental Health Support | 15 Signs You Might Need It…
- Things are beginning to feel so heavy that they are preventing you from going about your day
- You feel stuck, trapped, hopeless or completely numb
- You think about your problems every morning and every night… and every chance in between
- No one and nothing seems to help you feel like happier versions of you that existed in the past
- You’ve lost hope that life can ever get any better for you or your family
- You are turning to drugs, alcohol or gambling to distract you from the pain
- You are making excuses to not go to work, see people, socialise etc
- Your own personal resources just don’t feel like they are enough anymore
- You can’t seem to make decisions anymore and feel like you want someone to just make them all for you
- People are starting to comment on the state of your mental health
- Obsessive rumination takes over and interrupts your ability to manage your day-to-day tasks
- Oversleeping is helping you to avoid the pain and makes the days go by faster
- You are feeling like a ‘shell’ of your former self
- Your body is showing signs of stress and overwhelm such as an upset stomach, loss of appetite, hair loss, headaches, unexplained fatigue, nausea, chest pain or heart palpitations, loss of libido, irritability, muscle tension or issues with memory or concentration (of course -> see a doctor if you need to!)
- You know you want a happier life but just don’t know how to get there
So there you have it… Mental Health Support | 15 Signs You Might Need It.
If you can relate to this I encourage you to be brave and reach for a better life. I’ve struggled in the past, I know what it feels like … and I know how good life can be if you step up and get some unbiased support from someone who genuinely cares about you and the quality of your life.
You may be surprised to know that many therapists are therapists because they’ve had their own life struggles and because they know, first hand, the power of doing the work in therapy to get better/heal/recover … or whatever else it may have been. We share our stories to help break the stigma and to highlight the fact that seeking support with your mental wellbeing is no different to seeking support for a broken leg.
Believe me… you have everything you need to get through your struggles… it’s already inside of you. Maybe you just need someone to help you see it?
I hope to see you one day in my therapy space, it would be my privilege to hear your story and walk the road to mental and emotional wellness with you!
If you’d like to connect with me and find out how I might be able to support you, please feel free to reach out here. I offer sessions in office, in the great outdoors, at your place (Southern Highlands of NSW only), over the phone or on a video platform. You can book a session here.
Before you go you may like to check out these articles;
Until next week…
Yours in better mental health,