There’s a saying …. ‘People in therapy often go to therapy to deal with the people in their lives who won’t go to therapy’. Have you heard it? Can you relate to it?
Let me tell you something straight up… as much as life isn’t about ‘winning’ and ‘loosing’, in the event that you’re in therapy because they’re not in therapy – you ABSOLUTELY win.
You WIN peace.
You WIN validation.
You WIN growth.
You WIN education.
You WIN strength.
Many of my clients come to me for help with relationships – intimate, family or workplace. They come and bravely sit in the chair because they are at their wits end. Sometimes it’s because they don’t know how to support their loved one anymore. Sometimes it’s because they finally accept the old ‘You can lead the horse to water, but you can’t make it drink’ theory. Sometimes it’s because they are just sick of trying to ‘fix’ someone.
No matter what they come for, they always walk away EMPOWERED.
You see, society (or even your partner, friend or boss!) may tell you that therapy is something only ‘crazy’ people need (gosh I hate that term!) but spend a session with me at She and I’ll show you the truth.
Therapy is for ANYONE and EVERYONE.
No matter who you are, or what your story is, therapy will be of benefit to you.
Here’s how therapy will help YOU!
- It will allow you to feel the BREATHTAKING joy of receiving validation for what you’ve endured
- It will allow you to experience the RELEASE that comes from someone holding space for your big emotions
- It will allow you the FREEDOM of a judgement and toxicity free zone
- It will allow you to debrief, process, FEEL and HEAL
- But most of all it’ll allow you to find HOPE again
There are MASSIVE gains to be made.
Massive BREAKTHROUGHS to be had.
And lives to be CHANGED. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
So why don’t people come to therapy and do the work themselves? Why do you end up coming?
I could write about this for days! Of course, the reasons are many and varied but here’s a snapshot of what I’ve seen, heard and experienced in my own life and within my practice;
- They fail to recognise their own faults – because apparently YOU are the one with the ‘problem’… right?! It’s easier for them to tell you you’re ‘crazy’ and send YOU off to get therapy.
- They think therapy is embarrassing / a waste of time / stupid. (Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.)
- They are living in denial and don’t see the ‘point’ of therapy anyway.
- They usually try to avoid accountability and therefore avoid therapy at all costs.
If someone refuses to go and get therapy, don’t push it.
Ultimately you want someone walking into therapy off their own back so that they are ready to do the work. No amount of begging, manipulating or bribing will get someone in a chair who doesn’t want to be there. You may well have good intentions but trust me, it never ends well when someone attends a therapy session after being forced into it.
Jump on the opportunity for yourself. Get support and work on YOU because, you can’t control the other person but you definitely can control your own journey.
So there you have it… Should I Go To Therapy Because They Won’t?
I hope this article helps! If you’d like to connect with me and find out how I might be able to support you, please feel free to reach out here. I support women Australia wide!
In the meantime you may like to check out these articles;
Until next week…
Yours in better mental health,
Join our Community
Love what you see and want more? Join our tribe on Facebook and Instagram for loads of inspiring and uplifting content!
Erica has a passion for Women’s Health. She works with women who want to be heard, supported and empowered! Erica is a survivor of many life experiences. A Mum. A travel lover. A green thumb in training and an eternal optimist!